The first Swiss passports were issued in 1915. Those were not yet in the famous red colour, but were bound in a grey-green cover. The famous red Swiss passport was created in 1959. Until 1985 the Swiss passport was only printed in the national languages of the time: French, German, Italian; English was included in addition to the aforementioned national languages. Romansh was added in the later Pass 85 after it was declared the fourth Swiss national language following a referendum. The ordering of the languages was then changed to German, French, Italian, Romansh and English.